Sunday, November 17, 2013

Random Things Around the Michigan City Lighthouse

I wandered around the area a little bit because there are some pretty nice picture opportunities around here.
 First of them was the tug Julie Dee.  I think she was from Grand Haven.  Or at least that's what it said on her stern.
 I kind of wish I would see more tugs like this because I think these are pretty neat tugs.
 A shot of her bow.
 Looking forward.
 A shot of the Police and Firefighters Statue.  I've seen this before and I thought it was pretty neat then and I still think it is pretty neat.  It is dedicated to the police officers and fire fighters that have lost their lives in the line of duty.
 The Naval Armor was constructed in 1932.  It almost looks like a Works Progress Building but it is definately Art Deco.  It currently serves as the National Guard Armor.
 I decided to head across the river to get better shots of the boat.
 A full side shot of her.
 A better shot of the Armory.  I'll have to admit this is a pretty neat looking building.
 At the entrance of Washington Park in Michigan City stands this statue. It was sculpted by William O'Donovan and Jonathan Hartley. It was donated to the city from New York in 1893 by John H. Winterbotham who was a local businessman. It is to the sailors and soldiers who died in the Civil War.
 Some of the details of the statue.  I think this is depicting the men going off to war.
 Looking up at the statue.
 Shot from the other side.
One more shot of it.  I'll have to admit, this is a pretty neat looking statue.

No comments: