Monday, April 25, 2016

And My Favorite...the Roger Blough

Anyone who has followed this blog for any length of time knows that my favorite ship is the Roger Blough.  She was the main reason I went out boatwatching on Saturday.  However, there were enough ships to keep me interested through the day.
 I was hoping that she would appear before it got too dark, so first I headed down to Marysville in order to catch her.  I barely made it because I was finishing pictures of the Thunder Bay.  As it was, I caught her from of the parks closer to Port Huron.
 I kind of like the orange sky behind her.
 She was returning from Conneaut, Ohio where she delivered a load of taconite.  Because of her unique self unloader, for the most part she either calls on Conneaut, Ohio or Gary, Indiana.  I think it was because of that, she ended up laying up fairly early last year.
 She's a cool looking ship though.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 Next I headed back to Port Huron to catch her there.
 I love the full frontal shot that I can get.
 She starts to pass by.
 She is framed by the Blue Water Bridge.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 And her deckhouse.  The doors to the back are her self unloader.

One more shot before she enters Lake Huron.  She will then go through the Soo Locks and cross Lake Superior to Two Harbors, Minnesota.  From there she will either return to Ohio or go to Gary.

No comments: