Friday, April 29, 2016

Chasing Sam Laud

I decided to take today off.  I was thinking that I might have a chance to catch the Stewart Cort heading into Burn Harbor but that didn't happen.  Then I looked at AIS and saw a handful of ships heading towards Port Huron and I was thinking about going up there.  And then I saw that there were a couple of ships going into Cleveland.  One of them was a ship that I haven't seen in a while and another I was hoping to catch as she was coming in.
 As it was, I messed around too much before leaving.  I decided to do my laundry so that I would have that out of the way.  Especially since it looked like I would be in Cleveland for a while.
 As a result, I wasn't able to catch the Laud coming in but that was okay because I think these make for some cool pictures.  As you can see, it was a little foggy in Cleveland today but I didn't get too many pictures of that.
 It's kind of neat to see a ship unloading.
 Although she wasn't quite unloading yet.
 But I did like all of the train cars in the picture.
 I think her crane was starting to move.
 It definitely was here.  Typically when a ship comes to Cleveland, she has to unload a little at this terminal before she can make the journey up the Cuyahoga.  I'm honestly, not sure how long it takes to do this.
 For a while, it looked like the other ship I was hunting was heading somewhere else.  So I decided to head over there.  When it looked like that wasn't happening, I headed back to Cleveland.  The Laud was still unloading.
 But the weather was a little better.  So I got some different shots.
 It was kind of cool.
 As I was heading back to the car, I heard the stirring of a diesel engine, so I decided to head back. 
 It was pretty cool to see a train engine with the ship.  This kind of reminds me of the poster at the Soo Locks that compares what a ship carries to what a train can carry.  As you can see, the ship can carry much more.
 The engine backs out as the ship continues her unload.
 the engine nearly disappears.
As it was, the other ship wasn't going to appear for another couple of hours and I wasn't sure how much longer it was before the Laud would make the trip down the Cuyahoga.  As I was leaving, I saw a plane overhead and missed my chance for my trifecta.  Oh well, maybe some other time.

No comments: