Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Mighty Sykes Makes a Mighty Entrance

As I said in the previous post, I was shooting from a different spot and this gave me a different angle for catching a ship coming into Grand Haven.
 The sky was looking a little overcast but it wasn't windy, so I didn't have to wait around for the Sykes this time.  It was a pretty hot day, so I think many people took to the water.  That meant it was going to be difficult to get shots of the Sykes without other boats in them.
 One nice aspect of the vantage point I was at was that it gave me the opportunity for some headshots.
 Sadly, it was tough to not have other boats.
 She adjusts her course a bit to get in the proper part of the channel.
 The almost three quarters view.
 This vantage point made it easier to get the lighthouse in the shot though.
 I kind of had a two fold reason to go there though.  I was hoping to get some shots of the pier before they close it down for repairs.  But it looked too crazy.
 A headshot with the lighthouse.
 Another angle of her.  Fortunately it was overcast yesterday.  Otherwise, I would have been shooting into the sun.
 Finally, a clean shot of her.
 Her pilothouse.
 Sadly, the boats didn't stay at bay for long.
 A shot of her stack.
 And she passes by.
 A shot of her stern and the Biscayne Bay.
More of a shot of the Biscayne Bay, but you can see the Sykes making her turn towards the dock.  I would have tried to get shots of her going into the dock, but there was way too much traffic.  Instead, I decided to get other pictures.

And part of the reason for the title, I think she gave at least 5 different salutes as she headed down the River.

No comments: