Friday, March 31, 2017

A Stop at Windmill Point

I was thinking about going planewatching tonight but the winds weren't coming from the right direction and I didn't feel like using the parking structure again.  Then I decided to check AIS to see if there was anything heading on the river and  I discovered that there was a downbound ship that I had a chance to catch.
 I was going to try to catch the ship from the rocky beach on Belle Isle but they had Belle Isle closed off for some reason.  Then I remembered that I could catch a ship from Windmill Point.
 It's been a while since I've caught a ship from here.  It's actually not a bad spot to catch ships, it's just that the park seems a little rough.
This is the Windmill Point lighthouse.  I think it is actually located in Grosse Pointe but I'm not 100% sure.  You get to it by heading east on Alter Road from Jefferson Avenue.  The first lighthouse was built here in 1838 making it one of the older lighthouse points in the state.  There were rebuilds in 1866, 1875 and 1908.  The current lighthouse was built in 1933 and is an automated light.  It seems like it could use a little love but I guess it serves it's purpose.

No comments: