Sunday, March 12, 2017

The Jiffy Mix Wolverine

Last night as I was passing through Chelsea, it dawned on me that it would be a nice place to get pictures of the Wolverine.  Since I just missed it last night, I decided that I would try to catch the noon-time Wolverines.  I figured that I might even have a chance of catching them pass since the westbound and eastbound Wolverines would be passing at roughly the same time.
 The Glazier Stove Company Building across the tracks from the Chelsea Depot.  The Glazier Stove Company was founded in 1891 by Frank P. Glazier.  Shortly after the completion of this building, the company went bankrupt after some financial shenanigans of its owner.  Several people have occupied this building since.
 A shot of the Chelsea Clock Tower.
 The Jiffy Mix brand was founded in 1930 by the Chelsea Milling Company.  It was known as the first baking mix in the United States and was created by Mabel White Holmes.  The company is still run by a member of the Holmes Family.  The company has retail sales of over half a billion dollars per year.
 The Chelsea Depot was built in 1880 and served as a passenger depot for the Michigan Central Railroad until 1975.  At that point it was taken over by Amtrak which continued passenger service until 1981.  In 1985, it was taken over by the Chelsea Depot Association and they restored it.
 I'm not sure what building this was from, but I like the picture.
 Another angle of the Glazier Stove Company and the clock tower.
 I kind of liked this shot.
 A shot of the signal lights near the train station.
 It wasn't too long before the westbound Wolverine appeared.  The sky was perfect.
 I'll have to admit, it was a pretty cool view with the station to the side.
 A better angle of the train.
 And it continues on it's way to Jackson.
 It was about 10 minutes before the eastbound Wolverine appeared. This is the shot I was kind of looking for except that I think I should have waited for the train to get closer.
 I think I'm going to have to come again but I do like this shot.
 This was closer to what I was looking for.
 I'd have to say this was probably my favorite of the set.
And the train continues on its way to Ann Arbor.

No comments: