Monday, October 23, 2017

Stopping at the South Haven Lighthouse

After seeing the Grand Haven lighthouse, I decided to take a trip down the coast to catch the other lighthouses.
 I didn't think the Holland lighthouse would be seeing this kind of wave action, so I headed to South Haven next.  My experience has been that this lighthouse is usually pretty good for wave action.
 As I was taking pictures, I remembered that I should have been shooting in burst mode.  That let me catch the right picture...
 ...at the right moment.  It is really amazing to see what happens when Lake Michigan gets angry.  It is at that point when you realize why many of these lighthouses have the catwalks like they do.
 Especially the pier lights like this one.  And remember, at one point someone had to cross this catwalk to either replace the oil in the lantern or replace a bulb.  I'm going to guess that occasionally they would do it under similar circumstances.
 I can't imagine being out there when the waves are doing this.  Nor can I imagine looking down and seeing the water washing over the pier you normally use.
 I didn't see any surfers here.
 I decided to use the break in the rain to get some different angles of the lighthouse.  I also tried to get more of the sky.  Gray skies make for cool lighthouse pictures.
 Another wave crashing against the tower.
 The pier briefly becoming a submarine.
 Another wave crashing against the pier.
 And washing around.
 Just look at the waves washing over the pier, no wonder these are covered in ice in the winter.


 I think this was the perfect angle.
 A few seagulls flying away.

 It started to rain but I found the perfect parking spot to stay out of the rain.
 but it was still a little misty.
One more shot before moving on.

No comments: