Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Dayton Whirlwind

I headed down to the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.  They were able to acquire the Memphis Belle from the Smithsonian.  They decided to make a big to do over it.
 For part of the events, they had some re-enactors at the Museum.  I didn't get to see them, but they had some of their vehicles.
 An Amphibious Duck.
 A recreation of a control tower of the 8th Air Force in England.  I kind of wish we could see B-17s take off from over here.
 I think this is a car from World War II but I have no idea which one.
 Another car from that era.
 I think I like this one the best.
 And one more.
 I thought they were going to have a fly by of some of the remaining flying B-17s but I think it might have been too windy at the museum.  After waiting a bit, I decided to head into the museum to see the exhibit.  I don't think I've ever seen the museum this busy.  I think that I will have to go back.
 I tried to get an angle where I didn't have many people in it.
 So then I took a whirlwind tour of part of the museum.  It seems that most of the people were around the Memphis Belle.  I got a relatively clean shot of the B-24.  They moved some of the planes around.  It kind of helped because it gave me different angles.
 A B-26.
 The Me 262 which was the world's first operational jet.
 The nose of a B-29.
 A P-61 Black Widow.
 Another Memphis Belle.  This one happens to be Memphis Belle II and is a F-105 Thunderchief.
 A MiG-21.
 A Huey.
 I love the way they have this B-52 displayed.  For the most part I can get clean pictures of it.
 An SR-71.
 An F-4 Phantom.
 The MiG-23 Flogger.
 The A-10 Warthog.
 The A-10's cockpit.  It's funny because a World War II pilot would almost feel at home in this cockpit.
 A MiG-29 Fulcrum.
 The B-1 Bomber.  I think this is the first time I've gotten a decent picture of this plane.
And I end with the F-15 Eagle.

No comments: