Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A Eurocopter Passes Over

As I was waiting for the next ship, a helicopter flew over.  Fortunately, I had my big lens on my camera so that I could catch it.
 This is a Eurocopter (now Airbus Helicopter) AS350 Ecureuil (or Squirrel).  It is a single engine light utility helicopter originally built by Aerospatiale   in France. 
 It was originally developed in the early 70's to replace the Alouette.  There was another helicopter called the Gazelle that was successful with military customers but it never took off in the civilian market.  It had it's first flight in 1974 and introduced to the market the next year.
It is powered by either a Lycoming LTS101 or Turbomeca Arriel power plant.  It can fly 155 knots to around 15,000 feet.  There have been almost 4,000 produced.  I'm not sure who owns this one though. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Summary2013 AMERICAN EUROCOPTER CORP AS350B3
Rotorcraft
(7 seats / 1 engine)
OwnerMIDWEST AERIAL IMAGING
LISLE , IL, US
(Corporation)
Airworthiness ClassStandard/Normal
Serial Number7530
EngineTURBOMECA ARRIEL 2D (Turbo-shaft)
Horsepower: 802