Thursday, November 26, 2020

Catching the James R. Barker

 I was pretty sure that I was going to catch the first ship.  It was getting dark pretty quickly so I wasn't sure about the second ship.  That's one of the things I don't like about winter.  Anyway...

The James R. Barker was heading downbound.  I'm not sure what she was carrying because I didn't catch her origin.
She was heading down to Ashtabula and that means she was likely carrying coal but I think she could have been carrying iron ore as well.
Anyway, it was a dark and miserable day but it wasn't too cold as long as the wind wasn't blowing.
Unfortunately, I couldn't take my drone up because it was kind of a snow rain mix and I'm not sure my drone would like that.
So that meant all my pictures would be with my normal camera.
It was kind of cool though because it was cold enough to see the steam cloud.
And that makes her look like a steamship, even if she is not.
And she is about to pass by.
I just love the look of a 1000 footer.  It's amazing that ships this big can sail on the Great Lakes.
She moves past the buildings in Windsor.
A closeup of her pilot house.

And one more shot of her.  One thing I find amazing is that the 1000 footers are usually registered to a port that they will never see.  In this case, the James R. Barker is registered to Wilmington, Delaware.  I know that it's for tax purposes but still, it seems odd.

No comments: