Friday, November 20, 2020

Barnacle Bill the Sailor

 I had an audit today and it got done early, so I left work early.  I saw that the Arthur M. Anderson was unloading in Detroit.  I also saw that this guy was heading downbound.  I wasn't sure I would make it in time to catch but I did.

The Barnacle was built in 2009 for the Navarone SA Marine Company out of Limassol, Cyprus.  She sails under charter for Canadian Forest Navigation of Montreal.
She can carry 30,800 tons of cargo.
Her length is 606 feet and she is 77 feet wide and that means she can fit through the Welland Canal.
While I haven't seen her before, I know she is not new the Lakes.
She is currently heading to Foynes in Ireland.  I presume she is carrying grain.
So then I switched over the drone.  It was a little on the windy side, so I didn't take it up too high.  Besides, I think I am liking the lower angles more.  Except I can't see some of the details on the deck.
I do like seeing the wake and stuff though.
She gets closer.
I'm thinking this might be my favorite angle from the air.
The beam shot.
She gets approached by the pilot boat.
I'm not usually a fan of stern shots but I like this one.
And as for the title of this article, it's an old dirty song about Barnacle Bill the sailor.  It had raunchy lines that rhymed.  Anyway, the name of this ship made me thing of that song.  I wont post the lyrics though because I know people bring their kids here.


No comments: