Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Catching the Happy 787

 I wasn't sure what I was going to do on Saturday until I saw that an unusual airline was going to make an appearance at the airport.  I've never seen that airline here, so I figured I would head over there to get some pictures.  I decided to make an afternoon of it because I saw that there was going to be another unusual plane at Metro as well.

First up was not an unusual plane, an A321 coming in from 
Next up was an Embrear 175 sporting the newest United livery.  It was coming in from Houston.
A CRJ-700 coming in from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
And the plane I was looking for.
The plane itself is a 787 and I've seen several of those now.  I think this is the first time that this airline has visited Detroit though.
The Airline is TUI Airways out of England.  TUI got it's start as Euravia in 1964.  It was later known as Brittania.  In 2005, it became Thomson Airlines.  It was the first English airline to use the 787.  In 2015, it started under its current name.
The plane itself is registered in Belgium.  The airline mainly serves as a charter airline.
This particular flight was coming in from Stuttgart (which might also be a first for Detroit).
It was carrying some car parts from Mercedes for GM.
I will have to admit, this is a pretty nice looking livery.
And because I can't get enough of the plane or the livery, one more picture.
This is a plane that I haven't seen since the beginning of the COVID mess.  For a while, Delta was storing these.
It is the 717 which is the last member of the DC-9 family.  Unfortunately, there are plans to retire these planes.  It would be a shame because the DC-9 series is a classic.
This particular plane was arriving from Nashville.
I've seen these planes a couple times during the COVID mess but I can't pass up catching them.
It of course is an A350.  For the most part, it reminds me of a 787.
A beacon shot.
This particular plane was coming in from Seattle, after a flight from Korea.
Another beacon shot.
Another shot of this plane.  I will have to admit, it is a very nice looking plane.
An A319 coming in from Washington DC.
This Embrear 175 was arriving from Columbus.
Another angle of that plane because I like the looks of it.
An A321 coming in from LaGuardia.
Another plane that I like to catch.
This was a 757 arriving from Orlando.
I love the looks of the 757 without the winglets.
Another picture of this plane because I like it so much.
And I decided to post a couple more shots.
One more because I like this angle.
An A321 coming in from Tampa.
An Embrear 175 from Pittsburgh.
Followed by an A321 from Boston.
Another new plane that I am really liking.
An A220 coming in from Dallas.
Another angle because I like the plane.
And one more shot.
A Southwest Airlines 737 coming in from Midway.
An A321 belonging to Spirit Airlines.
This was arriving from Atlanta.
As was this one.
An A319 coming in from Miami.
Another 757.  Well this one is the 757-300 which is the stretch version.
This particular one was coming in from Fort Lauderdale.
And you can see the full stretch in this picture.
A 737 coming in from Atlanta.
This is an A320neo coming in from Fort Myers.
Another angle of that with a seagull dive bombing it.
Another plane that I was waiting for.
This is a 777 belonging to United Airlines coming in from Dulles Airport in Washington DC.
It is carrying the Washington Football Team, formerly known as the Reskins.  I seriously hope they come up with a new name for them because Washington Football Team sounds lame.
Anyway, the Washington team would be facing the Lions on the next day.
Interestingly enough, the plane has won as many Super Bowls as the Lions.
One more shot of the plane.


No comments: