Saturday, July 27, 2024

Catching the Frontenac

I was thinking about just chilling today but then I saw that the Frontenac was coming down.  Given recent issues with classic lakers, I figured I should go down to catch it.  Unfortunately, I got a late start and nearly missed it.  They were doing some sort of construction on I-94 and it nearly messed up my plans.  Fortunately, I made it in time.
I almost didn't make it to Riverside just the same.  It was packed.  Fortunately, someone was leaving as I was coming in and I was able to park.
The AIS listed the Frontenac as coming down from Sault Ste Marie but that would have been the last port she visited.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.
If I had to guess, I would say she was coming down from Thunder Bay.
I'm not sure what she was carrying but she is heading to Port Colborne, so I will guess that she was carrying rocks.
I'm pretty sure that she is loaded.
Anyway, recently the Cuyahoga caught fire and her fate is uncertain.  The Michipicoten formed a giant crack and her fare is almost certain that she is going to get repaired but she will need more work.
As the numbers of the classic lakers dwindle, it makes catching one special.
Since the number of Canadian classic lakers is even fewer, it makes catching one more special.
I'm not sure how much longer she will be with us, but I will try to catch her when I can.
She passes the Gordie Howe Bridge.  I think they officially connected the two spans this week.  Or at least they had a ceremony anyway.  They still need to work on the approaches but that is coming.

No comments: