Sunday, July 14, 2024

Catching the Lee A. Tregurtha at Night

There were a couple of other people at the bridge when I caught the Oberstar earlier.  One of them mentioned that the Lee A. Tregurtha was heading to the steel mill.  So I looked at Marine Traffic and saw that she was about three hours north of Port Huron.  At the time, that would have her arriving around 10:00 P.M.  I wasn't sure about doing a night shot but I never tried it on the Rouge.  I've wanted to try, so I headed over there.
After asking on Facebook, I figured that I needed around ISO10000.  Fortunately this camera has pretty low noise at that setting.  So first I tried the autoexposure.  It looked okay but I don't think the ship was bright enough.
So I messed with the shutter speed and f-stop.  I was getting closer.  There is a little more definition in the ship.  But it probably helped that the ship was closer.
I think I had it dialed in at this point.  I like the beam coming from the search light.  I like the green on the water.
She was coming down from Marquette with a load of taconite for the steel mill.  The Oberstar was still at the mill but she was further in the slip, so no pictures of her.
I had the timing down of when I needed to leave so I didn't have to dally too much around this area.  I didn't feel unsafe but you never know what's going to be around at night.
Of the frontal shots, I like I like this one the best.
A shot of her pilot house.
I went to the other side.  She passes the bridge.
A shot of the mill.  I really like this one.
She moves forward.  I like the reflections on the water.
I really like this one.  The flare off from one of the plants.
I'm not sure what this is but it looked cool lit up.
The stack looked really cool.
One more before heading off.  I didn't get my full stern shot because I parked on the street and didn't want to be in the way.

No comments: