Sunday, July 14, 2024

Catching Up with the Honorable James L. Oberstar

 I wasn't sure I wanted to do anything today.  I heard that the weather wasn't going to be particularly cooperative.  It was supposed to be humid again with the possibility of rain.  Then I looked at Marine Traffic and I saw that the James L. Oberstar was going to be heading to the Rouge steel mill.

The last time I caught was in January and that wasn't on the Rouge River.  I love catching ships on the Rouge, so I decided to head down.
I didn't start early enough to catch her at the Fort Street Bridge, so I didn't bring my drone with me but I had plenty of time to catch her at the Dix Street Bridge.
She was coming down from Marquette which means she had a load of taconite.  I don't think she's made this run much this year.  I think she started late because she was getting her inspection.
She does look like she might have been painted but it doesn't take long for a ship to get wharf rash.
Anyway, I think she got a later start than usual.
I kind of like this shot.
Then I went to the other side of the bridge.  Unfortunately, there was a person in the way for my favorite shot.  Maybe next time.
Her current name.  She started out as the Shenango II when she was owned by the Shenango Furnace Company.  She was renamed Charles M. Beeghley when Interlake bought her.  She was renamed to her current name in honor of the Congressman who has done quite a bit for the Lakes.
A shot of the back of her pilothouse as she moves towards the steel mill.
One of her employees checking the distance between the ship and the bridge.  She is making sure they don't get too close to the Bridge.
Her plimsoll lines.  She is pretty full because I think the lakes are down a little bit this year.  The diamond with AB near it is her certification mark.  It comes from the American Bureau of Shipping and indicates her maximum load.  There are other certification bodies but most of the American ships use the American Bureau of Shipping.
One of her hatches.
Another cargo hatch.  I kind of liked the things in front of it.
I'm not sure what this.  I think it might be used to handle her mooring lines.
Her stack.  Ships on the Great Lakes have distinctive stacks to indicate their companies.  This one is for Interlake Steamship.
One of her boats.
These are lifeboats that will inflate when they hit the water.
Her engine room and mark indicating where the rear bow thruster is.
Another employee making sure she is clear of the bridge.
Her stern anchor.  Ships on the Great Lakes are required to have three anchors.
She makes the turn for her slip at the steel mill.
My favorite view on the lakes.  One of these days, I would like to get this view the other way.
A stern shot.
She continues her turn in to the slip.
My last shot.

I saw that the Lee Tregurtha is making her way down.  I am half tempted to come back to get pictures of her but she is coming after dark.  I'm not sure I want to hang around this area in the dark.


No comments: