Thursday, May 21, 2015

An Evening With the Callaway

While the title sounds like I was going to see a famous musician, I wasn't.  Instead I was going to see a classical looking freighter.
 The Cason J. Callaway is one of four AAA freighters that are run by Great Lakes Fleet.  Currently the Anderson is undergoing work, so that means that the Callaway has to pick up some slack.
 Fortunately, she is just coming off some maintenance work herself and sports the new coat of paint to show for it.  It's amazing that she is almost 60 years old and she still runs like a clock.
 I had to stop at a spot I wasn't planning on, but I still managed to get the headshot.
 Actually, the spot I was at wasn't too bad.  Although I'm not sure I like the stuff in the background.
 That's okay, the light was shining and there were a couple of clouds in the sky.
 Which was enough for the "golden light".
 It was a shame that the water wasn't calmer.
 The Callaway continues on her way.  I believe she picked up stone near Alpena and is taking it down to Conneaut, Ohio.
 I decided to head over to Marysville because I wanted more shots of her.
 She passes the subject of my next post.
 It's amazing that at different angles she looks so dainty.
 But don't let that fool you, she's a hard working ship.
 And sometimes she has the marks to show for it.
 I love the purples in the sky.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And her deckhouse.
She slowly approaches the subject of another upcoming post.

No comments: