Thursday, May 28, 2015

Return to Point Iroquois Lighthouse

I would find it hard to actually rate the lighthouses in Michigan.  There are so many that I like but I like them for different reasons.  As far as settings go, this one is probably one of my favorites.
 Point Iroquois is about halfway between Brimley and Paradise.  It is overlooking the southern part of Whitefish Bay.  At one time, it would have been one of the navigation aids leading ships into the St Marys River prior to entering the Soo Locks.  Improved navigation have made this lighthouse irrelevant.
 It is now part of the of the National Forest and it has a volunteer keeper.  I would have to say that it is kept in pretty good continue.
 Looking up at the tower.
 The lighthouse was open and so I decided to climb up into the tower.  This was not the first time I'd been up there but the view was pretty impressive.
 Looking towards the mouth of the River.
 Looking down at the staircase.  I think there were 72 stairs to the top of the tower.  It wasn't too bad of a climb.
 Looking at the lighthouse from the front.  The stone fence around was built by one of the keepers.  The lighthouse is pretty isolated now, I can't imagine what it was like back in the day.
 The view from the parking lot.
And a slightly different view.

No comments: