Thursday, May 28, 2015

Another Classic...the Philip R. Clarke

I make it no secret that I prefer the classic lakers.  The front mounted pilothouse is unique to the Lakes and I'm honestly not sure why they went for that configuration.  If I were going to venture a guess, I would say it would have to do with the fact that they sometimes have to navigate rivers and it would give them better visibility while doing so.
 The Philip R. Clarke is a classic in two regards.  One, she has the forward mounted pilothouse.  Two, she is still a steam powered vessel.
 As emission regulations start to catch up to the fleets, steam power is becoming rarer and rarer.  I would imagine that if she were going to stay in service longer, she is probably looking at new engines at some point.
 At least, I hope that she can get new engines because I would hate to see these ships become tug/barges.
 However, I'm not going to worry about that until the day comes.  I imagine I will see her like this for a long time.
 Then it was back to Mission Point.
 I will have to say that the three quarters view is probably becoming my favorite.
 A nice little reflection in the blue water.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And her deckhouse.
 Like many boats on the lakes, she is hard worker.
And she continues on her way.

No comments: