Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Owen M. Frederick at Mission Point

I arrived in the Soo at the right time as there were four vessels coming down in fairly rapid succession.
 The first vessel doesn't count as a ship but I will post pictures of it anyway.
 She is the Owen M. Frederick which is a tugboat operated by the Corps of Engineers at the Soo Locks.  She is used to assist in dredging and other things.
 She was built at Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding in Sturgeon Bay, WI in 1942.  She is 65' long.
 She is powered with a diesel engine.
 I think she is a pretty nice looking tugboat.
 She continues moving her charge down the river.
One more shot of her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Owen M. Frederick was my great uncle and a surveyor on the Sault Locks.
Sure wish I could find a model of a tug similar enough to customize as she looks today.
If not, maybe the actual construction plans.

Allen Williams