Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Some Coming Attractions

Today's Assignment is make a photograph today that illustrates attraction. Pick whatever definition of the word you'd like. So I decided to do some things that I am attracted to. These are in no particular order.

I remember seeing a model of an F-14 in the store and it had this insignia. It was for a movie called the Final Countdown. When they showed it on HBO, I must have watched the hell out of it. At that point I was hooked on the F-14 and almost ended up in the Navy.

I don't remember when it happened but it was sometime when I was young. The first sports I remember watching was Michigan Football. These are some things that represent Michigan. The "M" hat is like the one that Bo used to wear. The other hat is from the national championship season. The stuffed animal in the back is a Wolverine. The figures represent different Michigan players.

Princess Leia was probably my first movie attraction. Star Wars was so cool and so was she.

At some point in my life, I decided that I wanted to be an engineer which meant I had to learn calculus.



These last two kind of represent a morbid attraction for me. I'm not sure why I'm attracted to nuclear weapons but I am. It may have something to do with living in fear of them for so long. Now that I've taken some higher level physics classes I can understand the weapons and how they work so they aren't quite as scary for me. I think the other thing is that they represent a fundamental change in the way great powers deal with each other. Used to be they would go to war with each other every so often...now they just kind of skirt around the edges of it.

No comments: