Monday, March 25, 2013

Algoma Montrealais Makes Four

When I started on my journey on Saturday, I was only expecting to see two ships (The Saginaw and Kaministiqua).  I was hoping that I would also see another ship possibly.  But as the day went on, the Marine Traffic app became a flurry of activity.  When I saw this and the next ship were going to passing Belanger soon, I decided to head there (that's where I got my last shots of the Saginaw).
 Even rarer than the self-unloading classic laker is the straight-decker classic laker.  These are the lake ships without the cranes.  The Algoma Montrealais falls into that category.
 Because of this, I have to believe that her days are more numbered than the Frontenac.  I think the American lakers have more years in them because of certain unintended consequences of the Jones Act.
 I will have to say that the end of the day was pretty much perfect.  The water was nice and smooth and that gave me some pretty nice reflections.  The sun was at the perfect angle for me.
 She slowly works her way up the River.
 One more shot.
 And she approaches the Saginaw.  It's not often that you see two classic lakers passing each other.
 And she works her way towards the Ambassador Bridge.
 Then I saw that I had a chance for one more ship, so I headed up to Belle Isle for these last two shots.
Sadly, daylight was leaving faster than the last ship I hoped to catch.  So would I catch it?

No comments: