Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Jerk Store Called...

And these people wish they were in it.....

I was going to make this post a little more right away, but I decided to give some people a chance to response.  Since apparently folks are too busy to take time to pen a quick e-mail here goes.

Before World War II, my grandpa was in the Merchant Marine.  During the war, he was in the Navy.  As I was growing up, we used to go fishing and stuff until he died when I was ten.  I don't visit his grave all that often but it looks like I should.

My mom had mentioned that my aunt wanted me to take pictures of the spot where he and my grandma were buried.  She gave me a vague idea of why but when I actually saw why, I was livid.
 Not sure if you can tell from this particular picture, but if you look towards the right you can see tire ruts.  Notice how close those ruts approach the headstones?  Now were these ruts caused by hooligan kids?  Nope, instead it was caused by a careless cemetary worker who couldn't take the time to put something down so his tires woudn't sink into the ground.
 The above picture is my grandpa's service marker.  This was after I wiped it off a bit but apparently whatever vehicle did this kicked up enough mud and stuff to pretty much cover the marker.  If I didn't have a rough idea of where this marker was, I wouldn't have been able to take this picture.
A closeup shot of the tire tracks.  As you can see, they are pretty deep.  I'm almost wondering if they got stuck or something and kicked up that much more dirt.

So now why the blog post, you ask?  Well, when I spoke to the person at Calvary Cemetery [(989)684-0666...just saying] yesterday, I pretty much got a blow off answer.  She said that basically they sometimes have to dig graves on the interior and sometimes this happens.  I just kind of shrugged that off but the more I thought about, I've never seen anything like this at other cemeteries I wandered through.

So last night I wrote an e-mail to someone labeled as the Quality Assurance person for the Saginaw Dioceses under the Catholic Cemeteries listing.  It was a rather nicely worded e-mail with the pictures from above.  Did I get a response?  Nope.  You would think I would at least get the pat answer of, "Well, we are looking into or something".  So here we are.  Of course, with the ground frozen over again, they probably will not be able to fix this but we'll see.

2 comments:

Christopher List said...

When I was in PA for my Grandfather's funeral in February, the workers had laid down protective material leading to his grave. When we returned the next day, it had been removed and used to protect the path to another grave.

Bob in Coweta said...

Ken, You might want to see if the cemetery has a website or a Facebook page and if so, send another email promising to post a story on this situation once you have determined how they are going to deal with the damage.