Thursday, March 14, 2013

An Evening in Ann Arbor

It was a nice enough evening, so I decided to head over to Ann Arbor after work.  One of the nice things about Daylight Saving Time is that it stays light longer, so that gives me a chance to take pictures during the week.
 I ended up parking at the structure again and decided to shoot this picture from the roof.  I kind of like it.  I wish the next one would have turned out a little better.  For that matter, I wish there were a structure that I could look down State from.
 The venerable Michigan theater.
 I wanted a shot of the theater sign and then I saw the banner for the Ann Arbor film festival, so I decided to get both.  This is the 51st year for it and will start on March 19th.  It lasts through the 24th.
 I've tried this angle before and I liked it, so I figured I would try it again.  I like the theater lights at the top.  I tried other angles but I think I liked this one the best.
 This is at the corner of State and Liberty.  When I first came here it was a pretty decent record store.
 The details at the top of this building caught my eye.  It reminds me of the standard midwestern town that I mention every so often.
 I saw the reflection of the flag in the window of the Grad Library and then I got to thinking about it a bit.  One of the cornerstones of democracy is an informed public and a library is a good place for that.
 I decided to get a more oblique angle of the block M.
 And my normal angle of it.
 Looking down the Diag towards the Rackham Building.  I love this angle and I will like it even more when the trees start to get leaves.
 The spire of the West Engineering building.  This is probably one of my favorite things to take pictures of.
 One of the puma statues in front of the Museum of Natural History.
 Some details of the edge around the entrance.  An owl.
 A sort of shield with various nature things.
 An owl and monkey.
 A close up of the owl.
 A good philosophy.  Although it seems as our populace becomes less and less informed, the truth is easier to hide.
 A snake and bird.
 I want to say this is a basillisk but that doesn't fit in with the real animals that are everywhere else.
 And the entrance itself.  One of these days, I should do pictures of just the details of this door.  I bet there is some symbolism to this.
 The Burton Memorial Tower.
 A better picture of the Rackham Building.
 Looking up at the tower.
An angle that I haven't been able to get for a while because they've been renovating this.
 A detail on the Michigan League building.
 Looking back towards the Grad Library.
 A good luck cat in front of a sushi restaurant.
 Nickels Arcade.
 For the longest time this was the Michigan Bookstore.  Now it stands empty.  At one time this was a Kresge Store, I believe.
 Inside Nickels Arcade.
 Looking down State Street.  I just liked the variety of signs although now that I look at this picture, I'm thkning I should have cropped the lightpost.
 I'm not sure what this building it but it reminds me of the headquarters of some sort of cabal.
 Ah, a clue.  This is the Delta Kappa Epsilon Headquarters. It is one of the oldest and largest fraternities.  It was founded at Yale in 1884.  Its former members include 5 Presidents (including Michigan's Gerald Ford).  The fraternity flag was flown on the first expedition to the North Pole and also on the moon.
And then I sat down to a nice dinner of Tempura Udon.  Good stuff.

No comments: