Monday, March 25, 2013

And Now for Something Completely Different...

Normally when I go shipwatching, I go to Port Huron or Detroit.  It is rare that I will go to both spots.  If I miss ships in Detroit and they are going upbound, I can normally catch them somewhere on the St. Clair River.  If I miss ships in Port Huron and they are downbound, I can normally catch them in Detroit.  However, given the time crunch and the amount of activity on Saturday I went to both spots.
 A shot of the train bridge in Port Huron.  Sadly, this bridge is marked for demolition.  If that happens, there will be only one more example of this type of Bridge in the country.  But I guess time marches on.
 After some renovations, the Maritime Center was re-opened.  Of course I had to stop there and get some coffee.
 I saw this out of the corner of my eye as I was taking a picture of another vessel.  First I had to do a double take and then I had to take a picture of it.  I'll have to say that it looks pretty impressive.
 The Maritime Center got all new flags as well.
 While I was at the Maritime Center, there was a live musician (as opposed to a dead one, I guess).  I'm not sure what his name was but he was pretty good.
 Then  I caught a shot of the Algorail at rest.
 Sadly I couldn't get a better angle on her.
 Then I headed down to Detroit and Belle Isle to hopefully catch the Saginaw again (or a couple other ships).  This is looking down Gratiot Avenue towards Detroit and this will be an upcoming project.  If I recall Gratiot run all the way from Detroit to Port Huron (or close to it).
 The moon looked pretty cool.  So I had to get a shot of it.
 When I got to Belanger, I was amazed at the calmness of the water.  If there weren't ice in the water, I could have gotten a pretty close to perfect reflection.
 A grain silo across from the Park.  This also gives me hope for my trifecta picture (a boat, train and plane in the same shot).
 Next door was the Great Lakes Steel Works.  I heard this guy stirring about.  It is a remote control switcher.
 And another one.
 For my last ship, I headed to Belle Isle.  This was shot from the fishing dock near the Coast Guard station.
And one last shot of the sun setting over Detroit...which leads me to....

....my next post.

No comments: