Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday with the Roger Blough

I actually didn't intend to go boatwatching today.  Honestly, it just sort of happened.  I saw that the Blough would be making her way up the St. Clair River and I was waffling whether I'd go see her or do something else today.  I decided to go up to chase her.  I never quite know when she's going to be passing this way again as she splits time between going to Conneaut, Ohio and Gary, Indiana.  She may be making a few consecutive runs to Gary for all I know.

It was a nice enough day for boatwatching though.
 I finally caught up with her at Marysville.  I found a fairly nice spot for getting her picture too.  I would have had a headshot but it was a little on the blurry side.
 Her side makes for a nice picture though.
 The scrapes, dents and bits of missing paint show that she's a hardworking boat.  She is pretty much sailing from the opening of the season until the closing of the season.
 A shot of her stack.  She has one of the more unique looking stacks on the lakes.
 I'd say her pilothouse looks unique but I think the Cort's looks more unique.
 The sort of side shot of her pilothouse and bow.  The scrapes and dents are even more apparent.
 I love this shot.
 A shot of her deckhouse.
 Another of her pilothouse.
 A nice candid shot of one of her crewmembers.
 A closeup of her stack.
 This guy was waving to the assembled crowd after this picture.
 And she moves on.
 The Stars and Stripes proudly flapping in the breeze.
 Her self unloader.  It's kind of cool that her self unloader is like this, makes her look like a proper laker.
I was hoping this wouldn't be my last shot of her for the day because I decided to head up to Port Huron.  She stopped for fuel though and that took longer than I felt like waiting.  Oh well....we'll meet again Roger Blough.

No comments: