Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Mississagi Passes Port Huron

Yesterday was my birthday, so I took the day off.  I saw that there were a few ships that would be making their way up the St. Clair River.
 I had to catch the first of those ships in Port Huron.  I relaxed a little too long but that's fine because the Blue Water Bridge is one of my favorite places to catch ships.
 That particular ship was the venerable Mississagi.  She was built in 1943 and started life as the Hill Annex and then would become the George A. Sloan.  She is a pretty cool looking vessel.
 She makes her way up the River towards Lake Huron.
 This is one of the main reasons why I like to watch ships from the Blue Water Bridge.  There are spots where you can get a headshot.  I think this is a pretty nice view.
 She makes her final turn to enter Lake Huron.
 And she starts to pass me.  The sky was just about perfect yesterday.
 She then passes me.
 And she passes under the Blue Water Bridge.
 This is another reason why I like shipping on the Great Lakes.  There is a great deal of cooperation between the US and Canada.
And she heads out on Lake Huron.

No comments: