Sunday, December 25, 2016

A Rare Visitor to the Detroit Area

The next ship is what confirmed that I wanted to go down boatwatching.
 I've seen the Joseph L. Block a couple of times when I've been up to the Soo Locks.  I'm pretty sure that I've caught her passing under the Mackinac Bridge.  I tried to catch her a couple of years ago when she went down to Cleveland but she only made it just as far as just outside the harbor.  She passed this way a couple of weeks ago and she passed by yesterday.
 Normally, the Joseph L. Block operates in Lake Michigan and Lake Superior.  She will pass upper Lake Huron but rarely will go further south than that.  It's kind of a shame because I like her color scheme.
 I think she was heading over to Quebec but I'm not sure what she was carrying.
 As I was taking these pictures, she was heading into Mistersky Fuel Docks.  I wonder if they checked her oil and did her windows too.
 Anyway, Zug Island does make a pretty good backdrop for a cargo ship.
 I didn't really have much time yesterday, so I couldn't get her as she continued on.  Based on some of the other pictures I saw, it's a shame because she passed by in twilight hours.
Anyway, I was happy to get these shots.

No comments: