Thursday, September 12, 2019

The Sam Laud Leaving the Crooked River

As I was about to leave Cleveland, I saw that I had a chance to catch a ship as she was heading out of the Cuyahoga River.
 I decided to head over to a spot that I've been to before in order to catch her a little sooner.  As I arrived, I saw this Marine Safety boat.  I knew that they usually lead ships out in order to clear the recreational boats on the water.
 The boat turned around as the Laud started appearing around the bend.
 And the Sam Laud appeared.   She apparently has been doing this run all season.  You can tell from the red of the iron dust on her hull.
 Another angle as she pulls out.
 Looking up at her pilothouse.
 A shot of her Plimsoll Lines.  Plimsoll Lines are named after Samuel Plimsoll.  He was a British Member of Parliament that took up the load line cause.  The British were losing a high number of ships due to overloading.  These lines insure that the ships have enough freeboard and thus enough reserve buoyancy in order to stay afload.  The diamond with the line is the mark of the organization that determined the load line.  In this case "AB" for the American Bureau of Shipping.  FW and SW indicate the load lines for Fresh Water and Seawater.  As seawater tends to be denser than fresh water, a ship will sink deeper in the water.  The S and W are for summer and winter load lines.
 She backs away.
 She was only doing about 2 knots, so I could get closer to her.
 One of the bridges behind her.
 And one more shot before leaving this spot.
 I decided to head over to Wendy Park to catch some shots of her leaving this area.
 Framed by the bridge and a couple of the Cleveland buildings.
 A close up of her stern as she makes the turn for the channel.
 As you can see, it was raining as I was taking this pictures.
 Pulled out a little bit.
 Another shot of her stern.
 Looking up at her pilothouse again.
 She pulled away and so I could get the shots that I preferred.
 Mainly because this could be a shot of her entering too.
 She pulls away.
After this shot, she would start to turn and head towards the terminal.  There she will pick up more iron and head back down to the river to the steel mill.

No comments: