Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Catching the Honorable James L. Oberstar

 Like I said in the last post, I decided to go do some boatwatching.  I was actually hoping to catch more ships but they are all stuck at the western side of Lake Erie.  Maybe I will get to catch them tomorrow.

I did however get to see a ship that I like to catch.
The Honorable James L. Oberstar was heading to the Rouge Steel mill from Marquette.
She would be carrying a load of taconite.
I was an interesting journey for her.  She started on the night when it was really windy and snowy, so she stopped near Drummond Island.
There was also a seiche on Lake Erie which means that it was shallower than normal because the wind was blowing it towards the east.
So she ended up heading down yesterday.  I was thinking I would catch her yesterday but it was really cold.
It was a good thing, I didn't because she ended up stopping near Marine City.  She continued this morning.
I was originally planning on catching her at Belle Isle, but I didn't think I had enough time so I headed to Belanger.  I was happy I went there because I got this angle as she was turning towards the Rouge.
I just wish I brought my drone but it doesn't handle cold too well.
I think I could have gotten some cool shots as she headed into the Rouge.
I got some pretty nice shots with my normal camera though.
So she finished her turn and headed into the Rouge.
I figured I could get some good shots.
And the light was just about right.
One more on the Detroit River.
I decided to head to the Jefferson Avenue Bridge next.
Looks like the Rouge froze over a little bit.
It was kind of cool because I could hear the ice hit the hull.
And the pictures are pretty cool as well.
Just wish it were little more broken because the reflections always look better.
But not too bad I gues.
She passes the stone dock.
One more shot.
Looks like she got a bit of snow too.
I think I saw a post about a crew wishing they had a snow blower.


No comments: