Saturday, June 10, 2023

Catching the Sam Laud in Alabaster

 Today I had a rare opportunity so I decided to exploit it.

I've seen a ship go to the gypsum mine near Tawas City a few times on Marine Traffic.  It usually happens on a day when I can't go up and catch it.  I saw that it was happening today so I decided to head up there.
I believe it is actually in a town called Alabaster.  Or least the town used to be called Alabaster.
This is actually about a mile or so away from an abandoned dock that I've taken pictures of in the past.  This one is a active dock.
There was a little spot where I could get pictures.  Luckily, I brought my drone along because I wouldn't have gotten many shots.
The location was named Alabaster after the discovery of alabaster in 1837 by Douglass Houghton.  Shortly after, other prospectors looked for alabaster nearby and discovered the deposits inland.
The deposits were purchased by George B. Smith out of Detroit in 1862.  His father owned a gypsum plant in Detroit.
Alabaster was used in the production of plaster.
In 1902, the mine became the US Gypsum company.  In 1910, housing was built for the workers.
The other dock was stopped in the 1990s.  I'm not sure when this one was built.
Anyway, this is fairly close to Tawas City.  In fact, I think you can see the water tower in the background.
Different angles with the drone.
I kind of like this one.
A shot with my camera.
Another angle with my drone.
A shot of the facility.  The mine is a little more inland.
One more shot before moving on.
After leaving here, the Laud would be on her way to Waukegan.


No comments: