Monday, July 17, 2023

The Lee A. Tregurtha on the Rouge River

I saw that the Lee A. Tregurtha would be heading up the Rouge River at a time that I could catch her.  So I decided to head over that way.
I arrived in time to catch her as she was passing through the Fort Street Bridge.
Although this isn't the same bridge, this is the same area as one of the early strikes against Ford.
The new bridge looks pretty neat, but the old bridge looked neater, I think.
The Tregurtha slows down as she is about the pass through.
I kind of like this shot.
I moved to the other side of the river with my drone to get another side.
I rose it up a little bit to get more of the ship.
One more with the drone.
I headed over to the Dix Avenue Bridge.
I just used my regular camera here.  I've used my drone over here before but I've had issues doing it.  There are ton of wires in the area and I really don't want to lose my drone or knock out the power in the area.
Besides, the light was just about right from the ground.
The smoke particles in the area are giving it a more reddish color like they have in Southern California.
She's about to approach the Bridge.
One more shot.
Then I decided to get a shot of her pilot house.
She still sports her ribbons from when she was the Chiwawa.  From upper front to lower rear, the ribbons are the following:  American Campaign, American Defense, European-African-Middle East CAmpaign, Pacific Campaign, World War II Victory Medal and Navy World War II Occupation.
A Merchant Marine flag.
A shot of her unloading boom.
A shot of her plimsoll lines.  this means that she has 26 feet to her keel.  She can be safely loaded to 28 feet to her keel, but that depends on the depth of the Great Lakes.
I'm not sure why she's letting water out.  The only reason I can think of is that they sometimes wet down the deck in hot weather to reduce hogging.  This might be from that.
A shot of her stack and the spot where the boom is controlled.
She makes the turn for the plant.
Another shot of her stack.
Her flag waving proudly in the breeze.
I love this shot even if I am shooting into the sun.
Almost a stern shot.
The stern shot.  I'm surprised there isn't the cloud of seagulls that is usually here.
One more shot before heading home.

No comments: