Sunday, March 24, 2019

A Stop at the Elk Park in Gaylord

Yesterday, we decided to head up north.  There was a chance that we could see the Northern Lights.  Since I never saw them since I was a kid and it was a nice enough day, we decided to head up north.
 We decided that Mackinaw City would be a good destination.  And since it was on the way, I decided to stop in Gaylord.
 There is an elk viewing park in Gaylord and it looked pretty cool.  I'm not sure how many total they had, but it seemed like there was enough.
 They even had a number of young elk.
 And a few older ones.
 Although, I'm not sure about elk stuff.
 A few females as well.
 I kind of wish this one was wandering around.

 the younger ones looked pretty cool.

I watched this one for a bit until we decided it was time to continue on our way.  As I was watching these guys, I tried to look up where I might be able to see them in the wild.  There is a State Forest about 20 miles to the north east of Gaylord that is called Pigeon River State Forest.  It was the site of the first re-introduction of elk to Michigan in 1918.  Unfortunately, many of the roads were not plowed, so I didn't get to see any elk there.  I will try again in the fall.

No comments: