Tuesday, March 10, 2020

A Stop at the Former Wurtsmith Air Force Base


 I continued up US-23 until I reached Oscoda.  I was hoping to see some snowy owls in Tawas as I've been seeing pictures from there but no luck.  I decided I wanted to get some airplane pictures at Wurtsmith.  Well, I don't think it's called that anymore but that's how I know it.
 This plane is a 747-200 and was built in Everett, Washington in 1979.  It was owned by Northwest Airlines until 2008 when Northwest merged with Delta.  In 2010, it was sold to Kalitta who in turn sold it to Baltia Airlines in 2011.  Originally, there was a plan to fly from Detroit City Airport to St. Petersburg, Russia.  For a while, it was at Willow Run.  In 2014, it was moved to Oscoda.  It never flew again as the airline couldn't get certified by the FAA.
This is another 747-200.  It was also built in Everett, Washington but in 1985.  It flew with Lufthansa for 8 years and then it was transferred to their cargo division.  It 2005 it was bought by Evergreen International and was withdrawn from service 7 years later.

It is sad to see the giant birds go but that is the nature of things.

No comments: