Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Hekla Aurora

As many folks who follow this blog know, I'm a huge fan of the 757.  It is certainly my favorite commercial plane and pretty close to being my favorite plane period.  I also collect die cast models after I realized I didn't have the patience to build models.  There are some pretty nice models out there.
 A few years ago, I found out about a special 757 that is flown by Icelandair.  I think they introduced it in 2015.  I was also messing with my prism for a bit.
 Anyway, they painted it in a special livery to mimic the Northern Lights.  I think they are fairly frequent in Iceland.
 They call the plane "Hekla Aurora".
 Hekla is a traditional Icelandic girl's name.  It is also the name of one of Iceland's better known volcanoes.
 Aurora is of course part of the name of the Northern Lights....Aurora Borealis.
 I would love to see this plane in person, but Icelandair does not fly to Detroit anymore.  They like to fly this plane around and sometimes she makes it to Chicago but it seems like never on a day when I can go.
 I guess I will have to be content to look at my model and it is a pretty nice model.
 A shot of the cockpit.
 I kind of like this shot.
One more as she gets ready to take off.

No comments: