Thursday, March 18, 2021

A stop at the USS Silversides

 So on Saturday I decided to head over to Muskegon because a little birdy told me that the Alpena would be leaving there around 4 or 5 PM.  Since the Alpena is one of the ships I like to catch, I had to head over there.  I took the drone along in case it wasn't too windy.

Happily, it wasn't too windy, so I decided to set my drone aloft to get some pictures of the U.S.S. Silversides.
The Silversides was a Gato class submarine (which was the most common submarines built in World War II).  
She was built at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in San Francisco and was launched in August of 1941.  
She arrived at Pearl Harbor in April of 1942.  
During the war, she sunk over 90,000 tons of cargo.  She received a Presidential Unit Citation over four patrols.  She also had 12 battle stars.
Because of that, she was one of the most decorated submarines of the war.
I'm not sure if she's open yet but it did look like there were a few people on her deck.
I kind of like this shot.
An almost bow shot.
The USCGC McLane a US Coast Guard Cutter.
One more shot of the Silversides.


No comments: