Monday, March 22, 2021

Catching the Kaye E. Barker in Many Places

 As I said in the other posts, I decided that I wanted to catch the Kaye E. Barker.  While she wasn't my first ship of the season,  I got catch her in some spots where I like to catch ships.

First place I stopped at was a little park on Grosse Ile.  While it gave me a decent view of the Kaye Barker, I didn't realize she would be that far out on the channel.
I might have to check out this spot again or try to figure out if there is another spot on Grosse Ile where I can see the ships.  
My spot at Grosse Ile wasn't bad but I figured I would make a day of this and I decided to head over to Belanger Park next.  The vantage point was a little better as the Barker was moving closer to the shore here.
I don't think I will be able to use this spot too much as they charge money to enter the park and since I don't live in Ecorse, it's fairly expensive.
Anyway, they let me in and that was cool.  I tried to get some shots without fishing boats in them.
It was kind of hard.  With the weather getting nice, more people will be taking their boats out.
I was having a little heat haze though.
I kind of like this shot.
A shot of her pilothouse.
She starts to make the turn into the Rouge River.  That is a nice thing about this park, you can catch the ships as they turn into the Rouge River or out of the Rouge River.
After Belanger Park, I decided to head over to the Jefferson Avenue Bridge.  It has been a while since I've taken pictures from there.  
I think the boat in front is a survey boat but I'm not entirely sure.  If it is a survey boat, it is used for finding depths in the river and mapping out the channel.  For some reason, this picture needs some sort of caption.
The Kaye E. Barker continues up the river.  It looked like she was going to head all the way up to the Rouge Plant, which was pretty cool.
I kind of like how it seems to have a cloud of seagulls around it.
It was definitely a nice day to be out taking ship pictures though.
From this angle, the lighting was just about right.
She passes the Great Lakes Tug that will be the subject of my next post.
One more shot before she approaches the bridge.
I headed up to Fort Street next.  I originally wanted to use my drone at Belanger but it was giving me some problems.  Fortunately, I was able to get it working here.
I got some pretty nice views of the Rouge River as the bridge opened.  I kind of liked catching the Barker as she passed through the railroad bridge.
I moved the drone around a bit to see what kind of views I could get.  I think as I play around with this more, I'll be happier with the pictures.
While the high angle shots are pretty cool, I think I like it a little lower.  Gives more of the expanse of the ship.
I kind of like the oblique angle of ships.  When they get closer, I have to take it because I can't have a drone over a moving vehicle.
However, I centered it for this shot.  I should have pulled it back a little bit but I wanted to keep it in view and there was some trees near the river.
She starts to move through the bridge.  I'll have to admit, this bridge looks pretty cool after they fixed it.  Although I wish it still had the Chicago style.
She was moving fairly slowly.
She's about centered.
I pulled the drone back a little bit to get more of a beam shot.
So I headed over to Dix Avenue next.  I figured I might as well get the rest of the Rouge shots.
There were a couple other boatnerds here and they were closer to the River.  I decided to stay up on the bridge.
I just wish the river was a little smoother so that I could get some nice reflection shots.
It was still cool to get some shots on the Rouge.
A little smoke as she hits one of the bow thrusters.  I think she needed to adjust a little bit before passing through the bridge.
After looking at the pictures from the Fort Bridge, it's amazing how little room they have to work with.
She approaches the Bridge.
A shot of her pilothouse.
She passes out on the other side.
A shot of the rear of her pilothouse.
Some of the crew members were busy getting the hatches ready to be removed.  The person closest to the side was calling out distance from the bridge.
She starts to make her turn towards the slip.
A shot of her stack.  I'm not sure how many ships sported this stack but it's been around for a while.
I kind of like this shot.  Just wish the flag were blowing more.
She continues her turn.
Probably one of my favorite shots.  I would love to catch a ship as it pulls out of the factory.
I really like this shot.


No comments: