Thursday, March 4, 2021

Catching the 787

 So as I was leaving Belle Isle, I saw that I had a chance to catch a couple planes that I wanted to catch.

First up was a 737.
This particular one was arriving from Palm Beach.
Next up was an A321.
This particular one was arriving from Fort Myers, Florida.
A beacon shot.
Next up was the plane that I was waiting for.
I remember when I first saw one of these, I thought it was special.  I also didn't think it was going to be a more constant flight to Detroit.
It turns out that there is a semiconductor shortage for GM, so they have been having to expedite these from Europe.
Sometimes they have been coming in from Stuggart.
This particular one was coming from London Gatwick.
Gatwick was built in the late 1920s and the first passenger flight flew from there in 1933.  It has two terminals.  For a long time, many US carriers used it because of restrictions on Heathrow.  US Airways was the last US carrier to use it and suspended services there in 2013.  Delta was going to start up a flight from Logan to there but COVID got in the way.
There are a few airlines that use it but more fly out of Heathrow.  It is one of the few British airports that is used by full-service, low cost and charter airlines.  TUI in this case was operating as a charter airline.


No comments: