Monday, August 12, 2024

And Lastly, the Herbert C. Jackson

 As I was getting ready to leave, I saw that there was one more ship coming up.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait for her but I made up my mind and decided to.  Classic lakers are always good to catch.

The Herbert C. Jackson was coming up from Toledo.  Normally when ships are heading upbound, they are not loaded but this wasn't the case.
I think she was loaded with iron ore.
She was heading for Burns Harbor which means that a load of iron ore would make sense.
I think it came from the iron smelting plant in Toledo, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, she was a nice site to see and a good gift for my birthday as she blew a salute.
I know it wasn't for me, but I can pretend.
One more shot with my regular camera.
So I switched to my drone again.  I like the reflections in the water.  It was almost calm enough for me.
She was making pretty good speed, so there was a nice bow wave.
She passes my drone.
The beam shot.
She has a ways to Burns Harbor.
One more shot before packing it in.

As I was heading back, I was glad that I was not on east bound I-94.  There was nasty accident near the Greenfield exit.  Four trucks collided and made a mess.  I'm not sure if anybody was killed.  But it shut down the highway going east, so people had to route through Dearborn, which probably made things pretty ugly.

Anyway, even though I didn't get the ship I wanted, I had a pretty nice birthday.


No comments: