Saturday, August 3, 2024

And Now....the Alpena

 As I was looking at AIS this morning, I didn't see much on the river until I saw that the Alpena was north of Port Huron.  I looked at her destination and it said Detroit.  That meant I didn't have to go out right away.  

So I headed down to Riverside to catch her.  It was in the 90s today and that made for a very uncomfortable experience.  Normally, there is a nice breeze coming off the river but that wasn't the case.
I was actually waffling about going because it was hot.  I thought the park would be crazy but it turns out that it wasn't, which was nice.
Anyway, the Alpena was coming down from Alpena.
She had a load of cement and was heading for the cement plant in Detroit.
Anyway, I believe she is becoming my favorite ship after losing the Blough.
Today, I was looking at a page from a ship that my grandpa worked on.  The ship was named the Aetna.  I think she was owed by the same people that owned the cement plant he worked at.
I believe that is the case with the Alpena.  She is owned by Holcim Cement and they own the cement plant by grandpa used to work at.
In a way, that makes the Alpena the spiritual successor of the ship he used to work on.
As a result, I think the Alpena is going to be my favorite.
But I'm not sure.
She is a very nice looking ship.
One more shot with my camera.
And then I switched to my drone.
I kind of like this shot with with the Detroit skyline in the back.
I was moving the drone around.
The river looked nice and blue today.
This is probably my favorite angle.
She continues down the river.
the beam shot.
She passes.
A nice downriver shot.
I was kind of waffling but I decided to head over to DelRay to get some pictures of her as she was docked.
I kind of like the pictures from here.
Since she is stopped, I can get different angles.

My favorite angle.
The almost bow shot.
Another of my favorite angle.
And a shot with my regular camera.


No comments: