Monday, October 10, 2016

A Stop at the Gerald R. Ford International Airport

After my quest for history finished, I decided to make a stop at Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids.  A couple people told me that there is a pretty nice aircraft spotters park nearby.
 After some digging, I found the park.  It is on the south side of the airport and provides a pretty nice view of the planes landing on the main runway.  This is a FedEx 757 at the FedEx terminal.
 The airport itself was started in November 1919.  The first scheduled flight in the United States a flight between Grand Rapids and Ford Airport in Dearborn.  It was a Ford Monoplane and started in 1926.  Over the years, numerous improvements were made.  The current airport is east of the original airport and was named Kent County Airport from 1963 until 2007.  In 2007, it was named after former President Gerald R. Ford.
 There are several regularly scheduled flights here.  Although they are mostly regional airlines.
 One of the planes was this Canadair Regional Jet.
 I'll have to say that this was a pretty nice view.
 This is a Bombardier Challenger. 
 A Cessna.
 Another CRJ that was about to take off.
 A Delta CRJ coming in for a landing.
 The lighting was just about perfect for me.
 An American Eagle CRJ taking off.
 A Gulfstream G100 about to take off.
 The Delta CRJ taxiing to the gate.
 The G100 taxiing.
 An MD-88 coming in for a landing from Detroit.
 I think I got to track this flight all the way from Detroit while I was at the airport.
 Got a nice smoke cloud.
 The G100 actually taking off.
 The MD-88 taxiing to the gate.
 A CJR operated by United Express taking off.
 This Southwest 737 was coming in from Midway and I got to watch its entire flight as well.  I think it was a total of 30 minutes or so.
 A really nice smoke cloud.

And with this, I called it a day.

No comments: