Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Windy Day in Grand Haven

I headed over to Grand Haven yesterday.  I saw that both the Wilfred Sykes and Herbert C. Jackson were headed there.  I've caught the Sykes a few times at Grand Haven, but I've never caught the Jackson there.  Plus, I haven't seen the Jackson since she's been repowered.
 When I first arrived in Grand Haven, the winds didn't seem that bad.  As I got closer the winds got stronger.  And by the time, I reached the lighthouse, they were really strong.  Strong enough that I felt sand blowing against my face.
 Then I checked AIS and saw that the Sykes had turned and headed south.  The Herbert C. Jackson had just continued south.  It turns out that both them headed for the Benton Harbor area in order to shelter from the winds.
 Oh well, the weather made for some nice pictures.  I don't think I've been to Grand Haven when it was this bad.
 The waves kept crashing against the range light.
 There were points of time where the pier disappeared under the waves.

 I tried different angles.

 I think this is one of my favorites.
 They are in the process of renovating the pier, so there weren't any people on it.  There were people on the other pier and I found that hard to believe.


 This seagull was fighting hard to beat the wind.
I decided to head elsewhere.  I was thinking that perhaps the Sykes or Jackson would come in later.

No comments: