Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Kalamazoo Psychiatric Hospital

I ended up going to the Western Michigan game yesterday.  Because I got there a bit later than planned, I ended up parking at the Kalamazoo Psychiatric Hospital.  I kind of wish I had more time to look around because it looked like there were a few neat buildings.
 The hospital was opened in 1859 as the Michigan Insane Asylum.  The most prominent structure is the water tower above which was built in 1895.  At one time, the asylum would have two farms which were worked by the patients in an effort to help rehabilitate them.  In 1978, it would become the Kalamazoo Regional Psychiatric Hospital and in 1995 it would assume it's current name.
 I kind of liked the picture presented by this chapel.
I think I liked this one even more.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Apparently, the chapel is still standing, but I have not seen any activity. What's the point of not using it, when it has so much potential?