Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Catching Up With an Old Friend

I'm finally catching up with my trip up to the Upper Peninsula from the weekend before last.  While I've been motivated to take pictures, I haven't been particularly motivated to post them.  This is even though I was fairly happy with the pictures I took from that weekend.  Anyway, here goes.
 We went up to the UP on Friday and stayed through Sunday.  That gave me almost a full day of boatwatching and looking at MarineTraffic, it looked like I would be busy for most of it.  The fact that my favorite ship was passing fairly early motivated me to get out of bed.
 The Blough was coming up from Gary and she was heading up to Duluth.  Admittedly, I haven't caught her all that much this year.  It always seems like she heads down to Conneaut during the week and there isn't really a good spot to catch her when she goes to Gary.
 I actually prefer to catch her when she's downbound.  She is generally squatter in the water and looks meaner.  It seems like she rides pretty high when she is returning for a load.
 At anyrate, it was still nice to see her and it looks like her new paint job is holding up pretty well.
 It was a pretty nice morning even if it was a little on the cloudy side.
 I actually prefer cloudy days for pictures, it is nice to have some action in the sky.
 This is about as close to a beam shot that I can get a Mission Point.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And her deckhouse.
 She is one of three ships that have a self unloader like this.  If I remember correctly, it is almost designed exclusively to carry iron.
And she passes by.  She will be in Duluth in a little more than 24 hours after this picture, at which point, she will repeat the cycle.

No comments: