Friday, December 31, 2021

My first and last ship of 2021

 I think I've been a little remiss in doing my end of the year summaries for the past couple of years.  I can understand why I didn't do one for 2020 because it was such an awful year.  I figure that I should do one for 2021.

It's hard to believe that a year has already passed.  Unfortunately, this year hasn't been as exciting as years past.  With COVID, I really had no desire to travel anywhere that required an overnight stay.  Of course, that's not to say that I haven't traveled.  I managed to make it up to the Soo for Engineer's weekend.  I also ended up in Chicago twice this year.  But not staying overnight made for long trips.

When this year started, it seemed to have such promise.  I try to avoid politics on this blog but I did not like Trump and I was happy to see him get defeated.  I think he represents a poison in this country but I don't think he brought it in.  He certainly exploited it and it seems like that is the one thing that he is good with.  But he was gone and the new administration offered such promise.  That is until the reality of a close enough divided government where one side will not lift a finger for the other side (but they will take credit).

What really bought promise was the announcement that they had a vaccine and it was effective against COVID.  As soon as I could get it, I got it.  However, there are many in this country that didn't and that has allowed the virus to linger longer.  So for about two weeks, it seemed like we would make it out of this unscathed.

Because of the vaccine, I was able to go to football games again and shoot from the field but they had different rules this year.  I had to get a pass for each game.  I was able to go to a basketball game and shoot from the sidelines.  That made things fun.

I was also able to go to three air shows this year.  The Yankee Air Museum had a drive in show.  It was expensive but it was kind of nice.  I also watched the Cleveland Air Show from the roof of a parking structure.  That was kind of cool.  As a result, I was able to see the Snowbirds, Blue Angels and Thunderbirds.  I was able to see the Blue Angels because an air show somewhere else was canceled.

Since I pretty much stuck to activities where I didn't have to mix with people much, that meant quite a bit of plane and ship watching.  I'm okay with that but I would really like to return to having this blog be about something.  I might end up doing that next year.

Anyway, the Kaye Barker brought in the New Year for me.
The Captain Henry Jackman took the old year away.

So what are my plans for this year?  Well, I think I would like to look up more covered bridges in Ohio.  I feel like I've scratched the surface for the bridges in the Dayton area.  I think I need to get myself motivated to go for a walk every night.  I want to be able to continue doing what I like and I think to do that, I need to get some weight off.  Working at home for the past almost two years has not helped.   I would like to see if I can get to the Eisenhower Lock this year.  I've never been to it and I would like to see it.  If I remember correctly, it is the first lock in the St. Lawrence Seaway.  I'm not sure what else I would like to do.  I guess we will see what the year brings us.

So anyway, Happy New Year to all my readers.  I'm glad that you've stuck it out with me through the years.  Part of me feels like I've been in a rut for the past couple of years.  I think the surgery took alot out from me and I need to get it back.  So anyway, keep enjoying the blog and if you have any ideas, please comment.

Thank you.


No comments: