Sunday, May 15, 2016

Waking Up to the Algoma Equinox

I was checking AIS on Friday night and I saw that yesterday was going to be a pretty busy day on the river.  I also saw that I would have to get up fairly early to get in all of the fun.  So after hitting the snooze button a couple of times and hopping out of the shower it was off to the St. Clair River.
 My first stop was Palmer Park in St Clair, MI.  I wasn't up in time to catch my first ship passing Port Huron but I had plenty of time to catch her there.
 The Algoma Equinox is one of the newer Chinese builds for Algoma Central.  She was built as a straight decker which pretty much means that she will mostly be involved in carrying grain.
 She is on her way to Baie Comeau which is almost in the Atlantic Ocean.  It is almost due north of Maine.
 I presume that she is carrying a load of grain.  I also imagine another ship will deliver it from there to Europe or elsewhere.
 Since she started in Thunder Bay, she's travelled about as much of the St. Lawrence Seaway that you can.
And she greets the subject of my next post.

No comments: