Friday, August 10, 2018

A Giant Swallowtail

I had to get my license renewed at the Secretary of State's office and since I normally take the days around my birthday off, I decided it was a good day to take off.  Because I made an appointment, it didn't take me too long to get it renewed and that was good thing because I had a chance to catch the Escanaba as she passed Detroit.
 As I was waiting for my ships, I saw this butterfly landing near a thistle. I thought it was a pretty cool looking butterfly, so I took some pictures.
I didn't know it what it was, so I put "yellow and black butterfly" in google and I found out that it is a swallowtail of some sort.
 I think it is a giant swallowtail.  I also think it may be a male one but I'm not sure.
 At any rate, I was able to get some decent pictures of it, despite the wind.
 It landed in a different spots and I was able to get some clearer background pictures.  It was still pretty windy, so it wasn't easy getting this pictures.

I would have to say that this one is my favorite of the bunch.

No comments: