Sunday, July 21, 2019

Catching Fifi and a Few Others

So I couple of weekends I went up to Oakland County International Airport.  I'd never been to the airport there but I heard that it was one that I should add to my list.  I wanted to catch Fifi the B-29 belonging to the Commemorative Air Force.  It was a pretty nice day but a little on the hot side.
 Unfortunately, it being on the hot side makes ground pictures a little tricky.  You tend to get heat haze, as I did for this Piper picture.
 I think this is a Turbo Piper.
 Another Piper.  I was amazed at the variety of aircraft in Pontiac and then I heard that it is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the country.
 And the plane I came up for.
 Before Fifi did a landing, she flew over the crowd.  It was pretty impressive, I can only imagine what the sky looked like when it was full of these planes.
 A Cessna 172 taking off.  I think this one belonged to a group called Crosswinds aviation.
 A Hawker private jet.  I saw a few of these around the place.
 The Commemorative Air Force provided an AT-6.  It's not often when you see a B-29 in the pattern.
 Another shot of the AT-6.
 Fifi coming in for a landing.  I would have liked this picture more if there wasn't the heat haze.
 She taxis by.
 I'll have to say this is one of the more beautiful aircraft from World War II (even though it was pretty deadly).
 She comes into the front.  They were allowing people on the ramp for free.  If I had gone there Saturday, I could have gotten a tour of the plane.  Apparently, they had to scrub their planned flights for Saturday, so I got to see more than I was expecting.
 An almost head on shot.
 Another angle of the plane.
 the cockpit.
 Another Piper.
 This was a Pilatus PC-12.  I do like the looks of this aircraft.
 Another shot of that.
 This is a Mooney M-20.  Mooney is a General Aviation Company that was founded in 1929 by Albert Mooney.  Currently they are owned by a Chinese company.
 A Robinson R44 Helicopter.
 Another shot of the AT-6.
 A Gulfstream getting ready to take off.
 This was another treat, a PT-17.
 Fifi getting ready to take off again.
 Another shot of it.
 I think this was a Beechcraft.
 Fifi taking off.
 A Cessna 172.
 Fifi flying by.
 Another shot of the Cessna.
 Fifi coming in for a landing again.
 Another angle.
 A beamshot.
and I end with another Piper.

No comments: