Wednesday, July 24, 2019

The Paul Bunyan and Babe Statue in Ossineke, Michigan

I had another reason for my trip.  I read an article that they were going to do Operation Northern Strike this weekend.  One of the base points for it was airfield at Alpena.  I wanted to see if I could find a spot there where I could get some pictures because it sounded like there were going to be all sorts of planes used.  I found some spots that might be useful but I'm not sure.
On the way back, we passed this statue and I decided that I needed a picture of it.  Both of these statues were in a different spot.  They were moved to this location in 2006.  Based on other pictures I've seen, these two were alot closer.

Anyway, Paul Bunyan is a mythical figure in the United States.  He was a giant lumberjack in American folklore and of course there are many places that claim he was born there.  A few of those places are in Michigan.

Anyway, according to the myths surrounding him, he made the Great Lakes and Mississippi River.  The lakes of Minnesota were created while he and his blue ox were wrestling.  And I think there are a few others.

No comments: