Thursday, August 15, 2019

Catching an Old Friend

After catching the Oberstar, I headed up to St. Clair to catch the ship that I really wanted to see.
 The Roger Blough was heading upbound from Conneaut, Ohio where she just unloaded taconite.  I wasn't sure if I could catch her and the other ships but then she stopped at Mistersky for fuel.  That gave me a chance to do both.
 I missed catching the Blough passing Belle Isle by about 15 minutes or so, but that's okay because I prefer the views up in St. Clair.
 the head shot.
 And she starts to pass me.  One of the reasons why I like the Blough is because she reminds me of a snapping turtle.
 She wasn't pushing nearly the same amount of water that she usually pushes.  The water levels are still pretty high.  The river is only a couple of inches below the boardwalk in St. Clair.
 she passes the power plant.
 As much of her beam as I could get.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 The Stars and Stripes flapping in the breeze.
 And she continues up the river.
Then I headed up to Port Huron to get some more shots of her.  I would have to say that Port Huron is my favorite spot for boatwatching.
 She passes the Hollyhock.
 You can get some pretty clean shots here.
 Another head shot.
 And she makes the turn for the channel to leave the St. Clair River.
 Framed by the Blue Water Bridge.
 The moon.
And she continues into Lake Huron.  From this point, it is about 2 days until her destination of Superior.

No comments: