Monday, August 5, 2019

The Lee A. Tregurtha Passing Marine City

As I checked Marine Traffic on Friday night, I saw that I had a chance to catch a couple of ships on the St Clair River.
 When I originally checked, I plotted out the course for the Tregurtha and I thought she would be passing Port Huron at around 4:00 in the afternoon.  I figured that would give me plenty of time to catch her.  The ship in the background is the Indiana Harbor as she unloads at the St Clair Power Plant.
 She must have speeded up after I checked because as I was leaving Bay City, I saw that she was about a hour out of Port Huron.  I wouldn't be able to catch her in Port Huron but there were other spots on the St Clair River I could catch her.
 Marine City is not a bad spot to catch downbound ships though.  There is a nice little park now where there are benches and stuff.
 The ship behind her is the Herbert C. Jackson, which is the subject of the next post.
 At any rate, the Tregurtha was heading down to Dearborn with a load of taconite from Marquette.
 With the high water levels, she is a little more loaded than normal.
 The almost beam shot.
 And just to give you an idea of how high the water is.  Normally, I'm shooting from the point but as you can see, the water was lapping on the shore.
And she passes by.  In about 4 hours, she would be passing Detroit.  Another hour or so after that, she would be at the steel mill in Dearborn.

No comments: